Strona główna
piątek, 3 lipca 2020 r.
Imieniny: Anatol, Jacek

Railway Station, The Entrance Gate, The Primates` Palace ...

Strona główna » ENGLISH » Railway Station, The Entrance Gate, The Primates` Palace ...

Railway Station, former Warsaw to Vienna line (Dworcowa Street) – the station was built in 1875 with the designs of the architect John Heurich (a student of H. Marconi) in the English Gothic style. The building burnt down in 1914 and was completely reconstructed between 1992-2003. The station was a favourite haunt of the Polish novelist and Nobel prize winner - Wladyslaw Stanislaus Reymont and it was also here that several scenes were shot for the movie "Promised Land". A picture of the railway station was also shown in the screen version of Boleslaw Prus's novel "A doll". Inside the building you can find examples of Socialist Realism sgraffiti drawn by A. and M. Mieszkowski in 1954. On the platforms you can also see an original wooden shelter which has existed unchanged since 1893.
The Roundhouse (1 Łowicka Street) ) - with its original signal box and fan-shaped hall, dating back to the time of the original Warsaw to Vienna railway. The Roundhouse nowadays belongs to the Polish Association of Railway Enthusiasts who used it to house a collection of dozens of vehicles, including some that are unique within Europe and even worldwide .
The Entrance Gate (Sienkiewicza Street) – A Classical gate dating from 1780 which leads to the former bishops` residence. The gate was designed by the Polish architect Ephraim Schroeger at the request of the primate Anthony Ostrowski. Through the gateway was passing the king Stanislaus August Poniatowski, church dignitaries and the emperors of the occupying countries during the 1884 congress.
The Primates` Palace (1/3  Konstytucji 3 Maja Street) - Currently the headquarters of the Institute of Horticulture was built in 1609-1617 on the site of the original wooden manor house. In 1872, the building was extended with the design of Ephraim Schroeger. The palace was the seat of the Archbishops including Ignatius Krasicki, famous for his writing and poetry. The palace was the residence of the French Marshal - Louis Davout, Grand Duke Constantine and later the Russian tzars. In 1884 the palace was used as a meeting place for the Congress of the Three Black Eagles - the rulers of the then occupying powers.
An exceptional and unique feature of the interior of the palace is the Hall of Aurora with its painted ceiling of Anthony Blank showing the goodess of the dawn whose face is that of the  Princess of Łowicz, Anna Grudzinski, the wife of Grand Duke Constantine.
The Church of St. Jacob (16 Senatorska Street) - Founded in 1781 by the Primate Anthony Ostrowski the church was designed by Ephraim Schroeger in the style of a Roman rotunda. An interesting feature of the church is that a bird's-eye view of the building reveals the letters "A" and "O", the initials of the church's founder. Well worth seeing is Primate Ostrowski's tomb, built by the Italian sculptor - J. Monaldi.
Market Square and Town Hall – the market, dedicated to Archbishop John Odroważ from Sprowa, the founder of the town of Skierniewice, was built in 1457 and was the main trading centre of the city for nearly 500 years. Near the Market you can find the Neorenaissance Town Hall from 1846 designed by the architect H. Marconi. Currently the town hall houses the offices of the town council. The location of the former eighteenth century town hall, in the middle of the Market Square, is now marked by a fountain, built in 2007, whose shape mirrors the contours of the original building.
Church of St. Stanislaus (2 Kilińskiego Street) - The oldest church in the town, built in 1720, was founded by the Archbishop Stanislaus Szembek. Beside the church is a cemetery which dates back to 1530.

Strona główna Drukuj dokument

  Lipiec 2020 

Pn Wt Śr Cz Pt So Nd
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Kliknij i zobacz wydarzenia

Urząd Miasta Skierniewice
ul. Rynek 1, 96-100 Skierniewice
tel. (046) 834-51-00, fax: (046) 834-51-51

ALPANET - Polskie Systemy Internetowe